Human remains, debris found from Danbury-bound plane - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Human remains, debris found from Danbury-bound plane

Posted: Updated:
Val and Taew Horsa are missing following a plane crash. (Family/WFSB photo) Val and Taew Horsa are missing following a plane crash. (Family/WFSB photo)
Helicopters were spotted searching for the plane. (WFSB photo) Helicopters were spotted searching for the plane. (WFSB photo)
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)

A couple on a quick trip to celebrate a birthday was killed after their Danbury-bound plane disappeared into a New York reservoir.

On Friday, search crews from several towns in New York for a missing single-engine plane that was bound for Danbury Municipal Airport. They located human remains, along with some debris, but still no sight of the plane.

The couple believed to be aboard the plane was identified as Val and Taew Horsa by their son.

"We'll see you when we get back, don't worry about me,” Eric Horsa, who is the son of Val Horsa, said.

Eric Horsa said that's how it was with his father and flying.  Val Horsa and his step mom, Taew, took off Sunday for Mississippi.

"He was always conscientious about safety.  The right amount of weight, the fuel,” Eric Horsa said.

Eric Horsa said his dad had been flying for roughly 30 years.

The 1971 Cessna was last on radar about 6 miles from the airport on Thursday around 4:30 p.m. Its disappearance prompted the search near North Salem, NY. 

State police in New York confirmed that suspected debris from the 1971 Cessna was located around 9 a.m. on Friday.

Official said they recovered a seat and wheels thanks to a sheen that was spotted on the water of the Titicus Reservoir.

"It was basically to get a little relaxation because in the restaurant business there is no free time, when your days are off you're still working,” Eric Horsa said. “In order for my mom, he would take her away, so there was no way to getting to her addiction, which was the restaurant. She loved it."

In 1986 the couple opened the Bangkok Thai Restaurant on Newtown Road in Danbury. Friends at the Bangkok Thai Restaurant said Taew’s passion was cooking and for Val, it was flying.

"Every year they'd go places.  I went to the Bahamas with them, went to Maryland,” friend Phouvieng Chanla said.

Chanla said she used to waitress at the restaurant years ago and remained friends with the couple

"My husband called me this morning and was like I heard the plan crash in Danbury, ‘hope it’s not Val or Taew,’” Chanla said.  “I was like, ‘no it’s not them, they're on vacation.’ And around 11 [a.m.] he texted my friend and was like yes."

Officials from the New York State Department of Environmental Protection and several other area police and fire departments have been searching the Titicus Reservoir since they were notified around 8:30 p.m.

They said Friday morning that they had to temporarily suspend the search because of fog. They resumed a few hours later with helicopters scouring the area.

Crews called off the search for Friday night, but the New York City authorities said it will be back out on Saturday morning at sun rise to resume their efforts.

With potential debris discovered, divers from the New York State Police and Department of Environmental Protection will be searching the reservoir's waters as part of the investigation.

The reservoir stores 7 billion gallons of water, but officials said there is no threat to the water supply.

A sudden loss everyone was struggling to deal with on Friday.

"You just never know when to say goodbye,” Eric Horsa said. 

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.