Suspected New Britain serial killer set to face a judge through - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Suspected New Britain serial killer set to face a judge through video conference

Posted: Updated:
William Devin Howell. (New Britain Police/WFSB) William Devin Howell. (New Britain Police/WFSB)
NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -

A man accused of killing seven people and burying them behind a New Britain shopping plaza is expected to face a judge on Thursday.

Suspected serial killer William Devin Howell is due in New Britain Superior Court for a hearing.

Officials said Howell is already serving a manslaughter sentence in one of those killings.

Families of the victims said they’re trying to stay patient as the sluggish legal process moves ahead.

The bodies of Joyvaline Martinez, Nilsa Arizmendi, Danny Lee Whistnant, Marilyn Gonzalez, Melanie Caminili, Diane Cusack and Mary Jane Menard were unearthed from behind the plaza, which is not far from the Westfarms Mall.

SLIDESHOW: Photos of the crime scene and victims

“They were people from our community and in no way deserved the violence that ended their lives,” said Chief James Wardwell, New Britain police.

Howell is currently incarcerated at a prison in Newtown. His hearing in New Britain will be done through a video conference.

New evidence was introduced earlier this year, including a newspaper article about Florida’s death penalty and a 2003 cell phone bill with handwriting that said “this just shows the day after I killed.” There was also a notebook with references to a website that sells serial killer memorabilia.

Howell’s attorney maintained that his client should be considered innocent despite the allegations.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.