Disturbing comments made by Trumbull High School students online have residents on edge, especially on the 3-year anniversary of the devastating shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Two 15-year-old students were identified for making threatening comments online, but police said they have not found any credible information showing that anyone is in danger.
“For the emotions people are going through today to do something like this again today really is difficult,” said Doug Marchetti, who is a Trumbull parent.
“It's tragic, it really is, you think that kids should be safe going to school,” said John Pellegrino, of Trumbull.
The comments were made online just before 11 p.m. on Sunday.
Officers visited both homes and seized the teens’ computers for forensic evaluation.
School officials have taken the comments seriously, and Supt. of Schools Gary Cialfi said in a statement “The police department did not find any specific or credible risk that anyone's safety would be compromised and it was jointly determined that Trumbull High School was safe to open today. Chief Lombardo and I had previously prepared to increase police presence at all Trumbull schools today in preparation of the third anniversary of the tragic Sandy Hook shooting."
Residents said it is only fair to take the comments seriously.
“The good news is that when a threat is made, there are people ready to jump on top of this,” Marchetti added.
Police have not revealed where the online comments were posted or who reported them.
Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.