Old Saybrook man arrested as fugitive from justice following bab - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Old Saybrook man arrested as fugitive from justice following baby's death

Posted: Updated:
Keith Frost. (DOC/WFSB photo) Keith Frost. (DOC/WFSB photo)
Keith Frost. (DOT photo) Keith Frost. (DOT photo)

The boyfriend of a mother whose baby died from injuries over the weekend has been arrested on unrelated charges.

Old Saybrook police said that while they were investigating the 14-month-old's death at the Econo Lodge Inn and Suites on the Boston Post Road, they learned that Keith Frost, 29, was a fugitive from justice.

Investigators said they interviewed Frost and determined he was wanted for first-degree robbery by the Suffolk County, NY Police Department. He was charged with criminal impersonation as a result of the arrest by Old Saybrook police.

Police said they were called to the Econo Lodge Saturday afternoon. The baby died at Yale-New Haven Hospital on Sunday, police said.

"Anytime you have a young child, who is in distress, it's disturbing for officers involved, no less performing CPR on a young infant is very difficult emotionally for the officers," Roche said. 

While police still piece this tragedy together, frost, the boyfriend of the infant's mother, was taken into custody. Because police said he initially gave them a fake name...trying to steer them down a wrong path. 

"We believe it was probably because he was trying to avoid a robbery charge out of Suffolk County, New York," Old Saybrook Police Lt. Kevin Roche said. .

Police quickly learned Frost was lying when frost gave the hospital his real name.

"He has been arrested for criminal impersonation and a fugitive from justice," Roche said. 

The investigation into the death of the child is ongoing.

"Right now, we're still talking to more people, interviewing, taking statements, waiting for the medical examiner's report," Roche said. 

It could be days, maybe weeks, before the cause of death is known.

Police said Frost was held on a $175,000 bond and faced a judge on Monday at Middlesex Superior Court. He was then transferred to Hartford Correctional and is now being held on a $375,000 court-set bond.

Police asked anyone with information about it to give them a call at 860-395-3142.

Copyright 2015 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.