Patrons enjoying Valentine's Day dinner at one downtown Hartford restaurant had to quickly find alternate plans Sunday night.
That's because a pipe burst sent water through the ceiling, prompting an evacuation around 7 p.m at Max Downtown restaurant in the Cityplace building.
According to officials, the pipe burst happened above a yogurt shop a floor above the restaurant, possibly because the shop was not heated properly.
Customers and staff were caught by surprise.
"I was about to talk to the security desk when I looked back in to the restaurant I saw people running and I just saw water running down the ceiling by our piano and host stand," said Justin Gavry, the manager of Max Downtown.
"It was like Niagara Falls and our jazz band was playing, and it got all over them," said Lauren Holden, one of the employees at the restaurant.
Erik Blair and his fiancee Julia arrived before their scheduled reservation.
"It’s a shame, it was going to be a good dinner. But we will find something else," said Julia Schmidt.
"What’s plan B? That’s the thing, everything is booked. We had to secure this reservation with a credit card. I don’t know, maybe five guys," said Erik Blair.
The Hartford Fire Department worked quickly to stop the water and secure the building. Restaurant management are working to see how quickly the damage can be repaired and when the restaurant can re-open.
The damage was localized to the yogurt shop and restaurant. The other offices and businesses in the building were unaffected by the pipe burst.
There is no word when the restaurant will reopen.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.