Officials say a Bridgeport man received a new heart on Valentine's Day.
John Pesavento had been on the donor list for a year after being diagnosed with end-stage heart failure due to complications from a heart attack he'd suffered two decades ago. He has been using a device to pump blood from his heart to the rest of his body.
A media relations coordinator at Yale-New Haven Hospital says Pesavento remains in serious condition, but is doing well and has had his breathing tube removed following the six-hour Sunday night surgery.
The 60-year-old was informed Sunday that a heart became available.
The family says they are grateful to the unknown donor.
Pesavento is expected to remain hospitalized for one to two weeks. He then faces a long recovery at home.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.