Extra police added to Hartford schools following threat - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Extra police added to Hartford schools following threat

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A threat was received by the Hartford Board of Education and prompted added security at all of the city's schools on Friday.

Police called the threat similar to ones received around the country. They said it named Hartford Public Schools.

Extra patrol officers were added at all of the public schools as a result.

"It's just a scary thought getting it early in the morning, 7:00 in the morning telling you that they received an email threat and as a working parent, you know you want to make sure your kids are safe going to school," one parent told Eyewitness News. "Receiving that email was just kind of scary, you don't want to drop your kids off at school."

Police called the threat, which was received by email, "unjustified." Its wording was not released.

"[It] still makes me worry," said Andrew Ferron, a parent. "You never know what can happen."

Hartford's superintendent released a statement early Friday morning.

"Although the Hartford Police Department has found no validity to this threat, we will continue to follow security protocols and will keep you informed as updates occur," said superintendent Beth Schiavino-Narvaez.

Deputy Chief Brian Foley said detectives and computer crime analysts have been investigating it since 11:15 p.m. Thursday.

Police released this statement on Friday morning:

"Through the night we have made attempts to validate the statements in the email. We have found no credible threat therein. Moreover, this email is consistent with others sent previously, that have been meant to only disrupt our schools and instill fear in our student, staff and families. With that, we understand the need to make our students and staff feel safe. While we continue to work with our local, state and federal partners in this investigation, we will also be providing extra attention and increased police visibility at our schools in the city."

They said there will be no interruptions to school day and no class cancellations.

The investigation into where the threat came from continues.

Police said they're working with state and federal agencies to find out the source.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.