Dozens of people were displaced by an early Saturday morning fire in New Britain.
Crews were called to the corner of Broad and Gold streets to reports of a fire in a multi-family building around 3:45 a.m.
When the fire department arrived they found fire in three large multi-family homes.
Officials said everyone was able to get out of the buildings safely.
Eyewitness Cory Mercado said he ran downstairs from his home across the street and could hear screams coming from these homes.
"My fiance actually woke me up because I was starting to go to sleep and all she heard was a big boom," Mercado said. "All you saw was the back of the building here all lit up and then you start seeing it catch the other building on the side."
Captain Michael Berry said the fire started around some cars and quickly engulfed the 3-story structure. Berry said the fire started in the building with the grocery store and spread to the two homes next to it.
Mercado said he watched as the fire spread to the home next door.
"I was more worried about making sure everybody was out of the house, warm," Mercado said. "I wanted to make sure they had clothes, anything they need, coffee, hot chocolate for the kids, food, warmth, all that matters to me."
Berry said many of the building's resident scattered as soon as they came outside. In total, there were 33 people displaced by the fire, Berry said.
Mutual aid was called in from surrounding towns to help fight the blaze.
"We had every company in the city involved in fighting this structure fire," Berry said. "We had mutual aid in the city helping us out, covering our stations."
Firefighters continued to put out hot spots hours after the fire started.
Berry said there were working smoke alarms that alerted the residents to the fire.
Berry said all three buildings are a complete loss including this grocery store. He added its loss will be felt throughout the neighborhood.
The fire marshal's office are investigating what may have started this fire.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.