PD: Bethel man arrested after screaming at officers following ba - WFSB 3 Connecticut

PD: Bethel man arrested after screaming at officers following basketball game

Posted: Updated:

A Bristol father was arrested after police said he had to be restrained during a basketball game at Bethel High School on Friday night.

Officers were present at the Bristol Central versus Bethel basketball game when police more officers were requested because the fans were “unruly.” Police said the parents and fans for the Bristol Central High School were yelling at the Bethel fans, players as well as the referees.

Police “requested assistance” from Danbury and Newtown police departments, “due to the large size of the crowd and the growing hostility.”

As fans started to leave the gymnasium, police said they spotted two female juveniles “provoking Bethel kids.” Police said these two females were “taunting some of the Bethel girls and were yelling profanities, making faces, and motioning as if to want to fight.”

Police told the two females to leave the building and were escorted out of the gymnasium. As 44-year-old Roderick Hickey, of Bristol, “ran up to officers yelling at them telling them they had no right to touch his ‘daughter.’”

Officers were able to determine that the female juvenile was not the daughter of Hickey.

Police said the female was able to fight and she and Hickey needed to live the building. However, police said that Hickey yelled and ignored requests by police to leave the school.

At that time, a large group of fans from Bristol gathered and started pushing and yelling.  Hickey continued to challenge the officers and eventually, “forcibly removed” him from the doorway. 

When Hickey resisted, police said he and the officers fell to the ground. Hickey told officers that he recently had surgery on his back and was in pain.

An ambulance was called to the scene, however police said Hickey refused medical treatment.

Eyewitness News has reached out to Bethel Public Schools, but they have not responded to our requests. 

Police issued Hickey a misdemeanor summons for interfering with police and breach of peace. Hickey was released at the scene of the crime. He is expected to be arraigned at Danbury Superior Court on March 15.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.