Fairfield firefighters credit smoke alarm with saving lives - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Fairfield firefighters credit smoke alarm with saving lives

Posted: Updated:
(Fairfield Fire Dept. photo) (Fairfield Fire Dept. photo)
FAIRFIELD, CT (WFSB) -

The presence of a working smoke detector and quick actions by tenants were credited with saving the lives of residents in a fire that broke out late Wednesday. 

According to Fairfield fire officials, they received a report of a smoke detector sounding in the 275 Jennings Rd. area. 

The first unit arrived on scene within three minutes to find smoke coming from the second floor windows. The first floor tenants had evacuated the building and met firefighters outside with their pets. Firefighters entered the second floor of the structure to find heavy smoke conditions throughout. 

While performing a search for victims and the source of the fire, firefighters said they found an unconscious victim in a smoke-filled bedroom. The victim was confused, difficult to awaken and unaware of what was happening. The victim was quickly assisted out of the building and medical care was initiated by fire personnel on scene while awaiting an ambulance from AMR.

A further search of the apartment found a small fire on the stove which was quickly extinguished. No additional victims or pets were inside the building.

Fire personnel ventilated the building and monitored the atmosphere to ensure no hazardous gases were present. AMR transported the victim, a man in his 30s, to Bridgeport Hospital for smoke exposure and evaluation.

"The presence of a working smoke detector and the quick actions of the downstairs tenant calling 911 truly saved a life today," said assistant chief Scott Bisson, Fairfield Fire Department. "Small fires can create a lot of smoke that can be more deadly than the fire itself to sleeping occupants."

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.