Suspect shot by Stamford police after 'disturbance' dies - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Suspect shot by Stamford police after 'disturbance' dies

Posted: Updated:
Connecticut State Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting in Stamford. (WFSB photo) Connecticut State Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting in Stamford. (WFSB photo)
STAMFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A 25-year-old man was shot and killed by police in Stamford on Monday night. 

The incident started when officers were called to a report of a man with a gun, who was "threatening harm" at 119 Wedgemere Rd. around 7:45 p.m.  

Once on scene, police set up a perimeter and tried to communicate with the suspect, who was suspect was identified as Dylan Pape. After an hour-long negotiation with Pape, police said he was shot by two members of the Special Response team. 

Pape was rushed to Stamford Hospital where police said he was pronounced dead. 

Neighbors said they were shocked that the stand-off happened nearby.

"Well I'm very sorry for the family....it was a tragedy for the family. They're both very good neighbors. We just never have anything going on here," said Mary Ann Lawlor.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner was notified and will conduct an autopsy to help in the investigation, police said. The medical examiner will determine the exact cause and manner of death.

The two members of the Special Response team have not been identified by police. Both officers were placed on modified duty during the investigation, which is Stamford Police Department shooting policy. 

The investigation into the deadly shooting was turned over to Connecticut State Police Western District Major Crimes Squad, which is state law when when a police shooting arises in a death. 

Stamford Police Chief Jonathan Fontneau called the shooting "a very unfortunate incident for everyone involved" and expressed the department's "condolences to the Pape family."

“Anytime there is a loss of life it is a tragic event and his heart goes out to all involved," Fontneau said in a statement on Tuesday. 

Stamford Mayor David Martin also released a statement about the incident on Tuesday.

“Today is a sad day in our community" Martin said. "Any loss of life, no matter the circumstance, is tragic for all involved. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and our police officers."

The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut called for "increased oversight and reporting requirements regarding SWAT units" after the deadly shooting.

“We do not know what happened to Dylan Pape, and we have no assurances, under Connecticut law, that we ever will. This is sadly not the first time that a SWAT unit has killed someone in a Connecticut home. Connecticut residents need and deserve transparency about how, when, and why police use SWAT units,” David McGuire, who is the legislative and policy director for the ACLU of Connecticut, said in a release on Tuesday. 

McGuire called on the Connecticut legislature to pass laws "to provide comprehensive, clear SWAT team reporting and oversight.” 

“In 2016, it is unconscionable that a highly militarized police unit can barge into someone’s home, use lethal force, and face no requirement to explain itself. Yet this is precisely the situation in which we find ourselves today. Right now, there are no laws requiring SWAT team oversight or reporting in Connecticut," McGuire said. 

A bill requiring police SWAT unit reporting and oversight failed in the judiciary committee of the Connecticut General Assembly last year. 

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.