State, U.S. flags to fly at half-staff for victims of Brussels t - WFSB 3 Connecticut

State, U.S. flags to fly at half-staff for victims of Brussels terror attacks

Posted: Updated:
In honor of the victims of Brussels terror attacks, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said U.S. and state flags in Connecticut will fly at half-staff until Saturday. (@GovMalloyOffice photo) In honor of the victims of Brussels terror attacks, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said U.S. and state flags in Connecticut will fly at half-staff until Saturday. (@GovMalloyOffice photo)
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

In honor of the victims of Brussels terror attacks, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said U.S. and state flags in Connecticut will fly at half-staff starting on Tuesday.

Malloy’s announcement comes in accordance with a proclamation from President Barack Obama.

The U.S. and state flags will remain at half-staff until sunset on Saturday.

Malloy said Connecticut “will keep Belgium in their thoughts and prayers.”

“The brutality of these attacks shocks the soul. We as Americans are united against all forms of terrorism because we believe in a world guided by hope instead of one driven by fear. Our prayers go out to the victims of these horrific acts, their families, and the people of Belgium,” Malloy said in a statement on Tuesday.

Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman said she was shocked after dozens of people were killed in what Belgium officials called 'suicide attacks' at the Brussels Airport and train station.

Following the attacks, Wyman said we all stand in solidarity against terrorism.

“We are part of a global community that is committed to peace and the safety of all our citizens.  Our condolences go out to the men, women, and children who endured today, and our deepest gratitude to all those who acted with compassion and humanity during these crises,” Wyman said in a statement on Tuesday.

The governor earlier on Tuesday reminded Connecticut residents, if you see something, say something. 

"Keeping our citizens safe is our number one priority, and the public's vigilance is critical to keeping authorities informed and protecting Connecticut from potential threats," Malloy said.

There have been no credible threats to Connecticut or the United States in general. 

"But we cannot be complacent.  Please be aware of your surroundings at all times and report any suspicious activity immediately to the proper authorities," Malloy said.

Officials are reminding the public to report anything out of the ordinary by calling 9-1-1 or text "TIP711" with information to 236748. 

To read the president's full proclamation, click here

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.