All after-school activities were canceled in Enfield on Wednesday after the report of a suspicious couple in the area of JFK Middle School.
A call from the superintendent was made to parents on Wednesday notifying them that a man had knocked on the doors of the school earlier in the day.
When parent Todd Stebbins said he received two messages from the superintendent, he didn't know what to think.
"The first thought was 'do we have to go to the school right now? Whats going on?'," he said. "It doesn’t make sense. First of all if I went to this school and I wanted to see the inside, I’d go to the front office."
A teacher told the man he had to sign in at the office, and then notified the principal. The man and a female passenger then drove off.
Police were notified and the school was placed in a secure status where students and teachers remained in their classrooms with the doors closed.
Three Enfield High School administrators said they saw the couple enter school grounds, get out of the car and begin taking photos of the school.
At that time, the principal was able to talk to the couple until police arrived.
School officials said the couple was from South Carolina and the man said he was a former Enfield student who was showing old schools to his companion and taking photos.
The couple was taken into custody and charged with loitering on school property.
School officials said at this time, they have no way of knowing if they had any other intentions.
“I am very proud of our staff. They performed admirably and exactly as they have been trained to do. Our police department’s response was superior,” said Enfield Superintendent Jeffrey Schumann.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.