Man accused of stabbing of 80-year-old Bristol man appears in co - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man accused of stabbing of 80-year-old Bristol man appears in court

Posted: Updated:

A Waterbury man who is accused of stabbing a man four times his age over the weekend faced a judge on Monday. 

Police identified the suspect as 23-year-old Eric Bowden. He was arrested at his parents' home, which is near the scene.

According to police, 80-year-old Gary McCarthy was found on his lawn on Stearns Street Saturday night suffering from multiple stab wounds. 

Police said Bowden reportedly wanted to kill the victim's grandson, and when he wasn't home, he went after McCarthy.

Nancy McCarthy found her husband of 57 years stabbed multiple times, saved by mere inches.

"Yes, they said it just missed his heart....and then he said they stabbed in the side too," she said.

McCarthy was rushed to St. Francis Hospital and underwent emergency surgery for wounds to his leg and upper body. His condition is not known as of Monday afternoon. 

Police said Bowden used to be friends with McCarthy's grandson Conner, but the pair hadn't seen each other in two years. Bowden reportedly stopped by earlier in the day, but Connor told him he couldn't hang out.

Police said feeling disrespected, Bowden went back to the house to find Conner, and when McCarthy answered the door, Bowden allegedly redirected his rage.

Elizabeth Fricke said she's a neighbor and heard McCarthy's scream for help on Saturday.

"I saw my across the street neighbor helping the police tape up the house with the caution sign and I went out and was taking to him," Fricke told Eyewitness News. "He let me know that Gary had been stabbed."

Neighbors in the area said they often look out for one another. At one point, they said they broke up what was described as a fight between the victim and the suspect and chased the suspect away.

"When there's snow or anything going on, we always have each other's backs," Fricke said. "It's definitely scary to see something like this happen to him. We're all praying for him to recover quickly."

Bowden gave up peacefully at his parents' home.

His family says Bowden struggles with schizophrenia and has been in and out of hospitals.

He was on a three-day pass from his group home and staying with his parents when the attack happened. Their thoughts and prayers are with the victim.

"We feel very bad for Mr. McCarthy. Our son has to pay for what he did. And hopefully justice will be served," said Victoria Bowden.

Police charged him with criminal attempt to commit murder, first-degree assault of an elderly person and home invasion. 

Police said they don't yet have a motive for the attack.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.