Following pushy parents at Pez egg hunt, company offers free cho - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Following pushy parents at Pez egg hunt, company offers free chocolate bunnies

Posted: Updated:
The Easter Bunny was handing out candy at Colonial Properties on Wednesday. (WFSB) The Easter Bunny was handing out candy at Colonial Properties on Wednesday. (WFSB)
ORANGE, CT (WFSB) -

A commercial and real estate brokerage company in Orange said it is offering free chocolate Easter bunnies following a parent-hijacked egg hunt at a popular candy company.

Colonial Properties, Inc. said it was offering the treats in light of the children who walked away empty handed after Saturday's incident at Pez.

"We know there were a lot of disappointed kids in Orange on Saturday," said Mike Richetelli, broker/president of Colonial Properties. "We are trying to do what we can to turn an unfortunate situation into a positive experience."

The bunnies are available for children ages 12 and under between the hours of 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. The company said the Easter Bunny will also be in attendance to hand out chocolates and pose for photos.

Saturday, Pez said it placed 9,000 eggs on three different fields at its Orange location. The goal was to have staggered starts for each age group.

When the clock struck 10:30 a.m., eyewitnesses reported that parents bum-rushed the area.

Those witnesses said things quickly got out of control.

They said children were trampled, parents were knocked over and eggs were stolen from people's baskets.

One Pez manager likened the crowd to locusts.

Pez released a statement that said parents chose to enter the field before any staff could start the activity.

It said by the time the event was actually supposed to start, all three areas had been cleared.

Pez said it did its best to create a fun and free activity. It offered extra candy at its visitors center for the children who didn't get any.

"Due to the actions of a few, the good intent quickly turned into a mess," Pez's statement read.

There were no reports of injuries.

Orange police said they were not involved, but said they could be in the future if the event continues.

"As with any large gathering, we certainly would like to be involved in the planning," police said in a statement. "Whether that leads to a police presence  will be determined based on those meetings. There are no plans to have that discussion any time in the near future regarding next year's event, if Pez decides to have it."

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.