Arrest made in West Hartford home invasion that hospitalized hom - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Arrest made in West Hartford home invasion that hospitalized homeowner

Posted: Updated:
Tony Villegas. (West Hartford police photo) Tony Villegas. (West Hartford police photo)
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)

Police in West Hartford said they made an arrest in a home invasion case that hospitalized a homeowner.

Tony Villegas, 37, was charged with home invasion, burglary, assault, robbery and larceny.

The incident happened on Bloomfield Avenue on March 31 just around 2 p.m.

Homeowner 79-year-old Louis Kiefer reported hearing a noise on the second floor. 

Police said the suspect entered the home through an unlocked door and crept upstairs to search for valuables.

Louis Kiefer told police that when he went to go check it out, he was confronted by the burglar who told him that he "was with security."

When Louis Kiefer called the suspect out on that, he was assaulted, according to police.

"I find this guy coming down...he's got one of my pillow cases with something in it. I ask him what he's doing and he says he's from security," Kiefer told Eyewitness News. 

Kiefer knew the man's story was bogus, and within seconds he and Villegas got into a scuffle.

"We got into a tussle and he has a football sized rock and he's trying to club me with it," Kiefer said.

He woke up in a pool of blood and called police.

The victim's wife spoke to Eyewitness News about the incident last week.

Sheryl Kiefer said her husband suffered cuts to the back of his skull and under his eye. He also had a cracked rib and sub-orbital inside the eye. She said he was pushed down and hit with a brick.

Villegas got away with a bag full of valuables, according to police.

However, he left some blood at the scene.

His getaway vehicle was described as a bluish van, possibly a newer model, that looked clean and well-maintained. It had yellow and black New York plates.

Louis Kiefer had to spend a night in the hospital, according to a family member.

Villegas was held on a $1 million bond and is scheduled to face a judge Wednesday morning.

Police called him a convicted felon with 27 prior arrests.

They said they worked with several law enforcement agencies on the case, including those from Hartford, East Hartford, Waterbury and Mamaroneck, NY.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.