Arrest to be made following death of high school student - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Arrest to be made following death of high school student

Posted: Updated:
Torrick Maragh. (Hartford police photo) Torrick Maragh. (Hartford police photo)
The family of Nasashalie Marie Hoy released this photo on Monday. The family of Nasashalie Marie Hoy released this photo on Monday.

An arrest will be made following the death of a high school student that police said at first appeared to be a suicide.

Torrick Maragh, who has a lengthy criminal history, was charged with one count of murder, according to police.

"She would never take her life away, no, never, we knew this from the beginning," Jacqueline Hoy, who is the victim's stepmother, said.

Investigators started looking into the case on Jan. 5.They said they responded to 1688 Broad St. to a report of an emergency. They found 18-year-old Nasashalie Marie Hoy with a gunshot wound to her neck.

Nasashalie Marie Hoy was transported to the hospital where she was pronounced dead. Maragh, who was Nasashalie's boyfriend, told investigators the two were arguing and Nasashalie Marie Hoy shot and killed herself.

"On the night of the incident, our investigators interviewed him," Hartford Police Deputy Chief Brian Foley said. "We obviously found many inconsistencies with how he described the incident compared with what the crime scene and the evidence showed our investigators."

Maragh was identified as an eyewitness, according to police. He initially described the incident as a suicide.

Police continued to investigate and said they seized two sawed-off shotguns for forensic evidence. At that point, 21-year-old Maragh was arrested on two counts of possession of a sawed-ff shotgun.  

Police said forensic evidence proves this incident was not a suicide. 

"There is a significant amount of forensic evidence that played a key role in this investigation, we worked closely with the state lab and got the results we needed," Foley said. 

Following an autopsy, detectives said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined that Nasashalie Marie Hoy's death was a homicide.

On April 8, police said they obtained an arrest warrant for Maragh, who was still in custody for the shotgun charge. His bond for the charge was set at $1.5 million.

Nothing will bring Nasashalie Marie Hoy back. But for her family, they said they hope this investigation will set the record straight and that she will be remembered as a high school senior, who still had so much life left to live. 

"She was happy, she had a loving family," Jacqueline Hoy said. "We all love her. You know and she's a regular teenager, but she's a good girl. She's very bright, a big beautiful heart ya know and nobody deserves this."

 Police said he'll be served the warrant during his next court appearance on May 9.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.