Meriden man hailed a hero after saving family from carbon monoxi - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Exclusive

Meriden man hailed a hero after saving family from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
A Meriden home is unsafe after carbon monoxide filled the space. (WFSB) A Meriden home is unsafe after carbon monoxide filled the space. (WFSB)
MERIDEN, CT (WFSB) -

A Meriden educator is being hailed a hero after rescuing a family of four from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ryan Price, who works as a behavioral tech, was told that the family living in his mom’s rental property on Camp Street in Meriden had a generator running in their home.

When he arrived at the home on Monday morning, he heard the dangerous hum.

"I came up to the door and I heard the generator and I was pounding on the door and it was locked,” Price said.

He said he feared silence on the other side of the front door meant four people could be dead.

"If you're in a house with CO2 poisoning...you fall asleep and you don't wake up again,” Price said.

He immediately called 9-1-1 and firefighters showed up and detected so much carbon monoxide that they had to put on oxygen masks.

“Right there I knew that it was really serious,” Price said.

Crews detected a carbon monoxide level of nine times the normal amount inside, but incredibly everyone inside was okay.

Investigators deemed the home unsafe to live in because of the deplorable conditions the tenants created inside.

Firefighters said Price likely saved the family. If they had been in there even a few minutes longer they could have died.

The fire marshal told Price there’s no doubt about it, he’s a hero, even if he won’t say so himself.

"I don't really see myself as a hero. I just see myself doing the right thing. That’s something that I try to do every day. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time....and it does feel really good,” Price said.

Officials said the family was likely using the generator because their power had been shut off and they were scheduled to be evicted on Wednesday.

The home is unsafe to live in but the family was allowed to go inside on Monday for a short time to gather some of their possessions.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.