A Waterbury mother purchased a toy for her 7-month-old child for Christmas, but it ended up being a parent’s worst nightmare.
“As a parent you would think giving your baby this toy is safe and perfect for them,” said Samantha Curry, who now regrets buying a Jittering Giraffe toy after her baby Scarlett choked on the toy.
“I was in the kitchen cooking dinner and luckily I was that close to hear her coughing,” Curry said. “I rushed to check on her. She's so young that usually baby’s her age just don’t cough like their choking.”
When she looked closely, she noticed the stitching on the toy had come undone and Scarlett was choking on a piece of it.
“It was terrifying thinking something so harmless could cause damage like that,” Curry said.
Luckily, Curry was able to get the toy out of Scarlett’s mouth.
She said she reached out to the toy’s manufacturer, Tiny Love Toys.
“Right now they just want to take the toy back and see what the issues are with the toy,” Curry said.
She also reached out to the state’s Department of Consumer Protection, who said they are looking into whether the toy is hazardous.
“I just want other parents to be aware of the safety hazards that came with this toy,” Curry said.
Eyewitness News reached out to the toy’s manufacturer however they have not yet responded.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.