Cigarette could be cause of house fire in North Haven - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Cigarette could be cause of house fire in North Haven

Posted: Updated:
North Haven firefighters fought fire on Green Hill Road. (WFSB) North Haven firefighters fought fire on Green Hill Road. (WFSB)
NORTH HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -

North Haven family was displaced from their home after a fire early Monday morning.

Crews were called to a fire at single family home on Green Hill Road shortly before 3:00 a.m., officials said. Shortly after arrival, firefighters declared a second alarm. 

The home was occupied by a mother, her three kids and the family dog. Firefighters said everyone was able to make it out of the home safely and no injuries were reported.

Officials said they had issues extinguishing the fire and it took near an hour to get the flames under control.

"We got the main body of the fire knocked down relatively quickly but then it became a very stubborn fire after that," North Haven Fire Deputy Chief David Marcarelli said. 

Fire officials said it appears the fire started on an exterior deck of the house before spreading throughout the dwelling. Fire was found in the walls and ceilings, which meant a lengthier fire fight.

Chief Paul Januszewski said the home "sustained significant damage from fire and smoke."

Fire investigator said they believe a cigarette smoked about 30 minutes before the fire led to the fire. The person, who smoked it thought it was out, said it fell beneath the porch in between the boards. There was no evidence of a cigarette was found, but after interviewing those who were home, fire officials said this is believed to be the ignition source.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.