One person hospitalized after apartment fire in Ansonia - WFSB 3 Connecticut

One person hospitalized after apartment fire in Ansonia

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)

One person was hospitalized following a fire at a four story building in Ansonia Thursday.

The fire was reported at the James J. O'Donnell on Woodlawn Avenue around 11:45 a.m.

When crews arrived, smoke could be seen on the third floor. That floor was evacuated.

One person was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

A preliminary investigation from the fire marshal indicated that the resident was smoking and on oxygen at the same time.

The third floor was damaged by smoke and the dry chemicals used to put out the fire.

The remaining floors in the building were not damaged.

Residents of the third floor should be back in their homes in 4 to 6 hours, according to firefighters.

The building consists of 40 one bedroom units for the elderly and disabled.

Eyewitness News has a crew on the scene.

Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updates.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.