Car seat left on stove sparks small fire at Hamden High School - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Car seat left on stove sparks small fire at Hamden High School

Posted: Updated:
Firefighter sources said a car seat left on a stove sparked this morning's fire at Hamden High School's nursery. (Hamden Fire Dept. photo) Firefighter sources said a car seat left on a stove sparked this morning's fire at Hamden High School's nursery. (Hamden Fire Dept. photo)
A small fire was reported at Hamden High School's nursery on Friday. (WFSB photo) A small fire was reported at Hamden High School's nursery on Friday. (WFSB photo)
HAMDEN, CT (WFSB) -

A fire was reported at a Hamden High School nursery Friday morning.

Dispatchers said the call came in around 7:40 a.m.

The school's school resource officer reported that the fire was in the school's nursery/daycare, though no children were in the area at the time. The nursery is located on the first floor on the south end of the building.

Students were evacuated by both high school personnel and Hamden police. The student body was brought to the football stadium.

A teacher who had opened a window to try and ventilate some of the smoke suffered a minor hand injury, but refused ambulance transportation, according to firefighters.

A firefighter source told Eyewitness News that a car seat was left on a stove. It cause a lot of smoke, but the building's sprinkler system was able to keep it in check.

Firefighters said they arrived roughly 5 minutes after the initial call and deemed the fire under control just before 7:55 a.m.

Water damaged from the sprinkler and the department's suppression was limited to the nursery.

Crews checked the air quality of the building and said it was safe to resume school.

Students were brought back into the building just before 9 a.m., firefighters said.

Drivers were warned to expect road closures in the area in and around Route 10 between the Wilbur Cross Parkway and Shepard Avenue.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.