Two Bristol police officers are being recognized after saving a couple from potential carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police responded to the home last month for the report of a woman who was having difficulty breathing.
When the officers arrived, they found the woman unconscious, and her boyfriend was by her side after calling 9-1-1.
It was unclear at first why she was unconscious, but the officers noticed an overwhelming smell of gasoline.
Officers Eric Hanson and Greg Lattanzio checked the home to look for the cause of the smell, and the woman was taken outside to safety as EMS arrived.
The woman regained consciousness and was taken to Bristol Hospital for treatment.
The officers discovered that when the woman got home she left her car running in the garage attached to the home, and it ran out of gas.
The fumes had infiltrated into the home, and when the fire department arrived they said the level of carbon monoxide in the home was so high that it didn’t register on their meter.
The officers began to feel ill because of their exposure to the carbon monoxide. They were treated and released.
Officer Eric Hanson and Officer Greg Lattanzio received Life Saving Commendation awards and were recognized as officers of the month.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.