A mother and son from Bristol were brought a little bit closer thanks to a close call Wednesday night.
Rosa Cisneros, who is more than eight months pregnant, choked while she ate her dinner.
That's when her son, Jay Jay Quiles, leapt into action.
Channel 3's Courtney Zieller spoke with the pair about their scary experience.
"That one piece of steak just didn't want to go down and I tried to get the attention of my son," said Cisneros.
Quiles, a Bristol high school senior, saw his mother was choking and performed the heimlich, which he had never done before.
His knowledge of the life-saving technique came from when he learned its as a 10-year-old.
"My mom taught me when I was 10. I just did what she taught me," said Quiles.
Cisneros said amazingly, Quiles was calm the whole time.
Cisneros said she was lucky her son was there. Quiles was supposed to be at track practice that night, which was cancelled.
"He saved not only myself but the baby as well because if I'm not the breathing neither is the baby," said Cisneros.
Both agreed the incident made them closer.
"We haven't had the best communication the last few weeks and if my mom did pass and I wasn't there that I would have had a lot of regret." said Quiles.
If there's anything he learned from saving his mother's life, Quiles said, "appreciate your parents and treat them right while they are there."
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.