Stove left on sparks fire at Hartford apartment building - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Stove left on sparks fire at Hartford apartment building

Posted: Updated:
Flames broke out Monday night at a home on Laurel Street. (WFSB) Flames broke out Monday night at a home on Laurel Street. (WFSB)
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

It just took someone leaving their stove on for dozens to be left homeless in Hartford.

Flames broke out Monday night at a home on Laurel Street.

On Monday night, Lily Mishra rushed back from college classes only to see firefighters smashing windows and cutting a hole in the roof of her home.

“I saw the smoke and then fire in front,” Mishra said.

Because the smoke was so thick, eight people had to be rescued.

“I asked firefighters to look through the back and they took me with them to make sure my building was fine,” Mishra said.

Everyone made it out okay, but their belongings didn’t.

Fire officials said the cause was an unattended stove.

On Tuesday, clean-up crews were out boarding up windows and doors. Tenants waited anxiously to get a look inside, hoping something could be salvaged.

“I wasn't able to go to work today, but still, thankfully, my apartment is good, I guess,” Mishra said.

In the meantime, many are staying with relatives or in a shelter.

Tom Hicks said he was supposed to move in on Tuesday.

“Some people lost everything. I'm inconvenienced. It could have been a lot worse,” Hicks said.

There’s no strict timetable on when people can move back in the building, but they are hoping to be back by the end of the week.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.