Student detained after threat at Prince Tech in Hartford - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Student detained after threat at Prince Tech in Hartford

Posted: Updated:
An unconfirmed threat put Prince Tech in Hartford in lockdown Thursday morning. (WFSB photo) An unconfirmed threat put Prince Tech in Hartford in lockdown Thursday morning. (WFSB photo)
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A student believed to be behind a threat that locked down a tech school in Hartford has been identified and detained, according to state police.

A.I. Prince Technical High School on Flatbush Avenue went into lockdown after an anonymous online threat was posted on the After School app.

Students and parents took a screenshot and showed it to Eyewitness News. 

"I got a gun in my book bag and I'm deff gonna shot up the junior lunch way for what they did to me a couple of month back," the threat stated. 

Just after 9 a.m., parents said they piled up outside of the school.

"The school [was] in precautionary lockdown due to threat that is being investigated," said Abby Smith, Department of Education.

Officers armed with rifles stood guard at the school's entrance while SWAT and major crimes teams as well as local and state police swept each room of the high school for grades 9 through 12. 

Flatbush Avenue was blocked off by Hartford police for the investigation. Parents waited while the school was locked down for more than an hour.

"That just gets me upset, seeing something like that from someone who probably is just having a bad day," said Jess White, a mother.

Students were asked to stay put until after noon. White said she and her daughter were separated by the lockdown and the two could only communicate by text messaging. White said 

"I've been a nervous wreck, it's been really hard," White said. "She was talking to me, but all I needed to do was hold her."

The incident was first reported as a student with a handgun, however Hartford police said no one actually saw anyone with a gun. Troopers said it turned out to be a threat that appeared on an app called After School, the same app where a threat closed schools in Ansonia last month.

There were no reported injuries. The lockdown was lifted around 11 a.m. and activities returned to normal. 

As parents reunited with their children, their worries turned to anger and all of it directed at the anonymous poster.

"I don't know what you're getting out of this," White said. "Get some help, that's all." 

State police have not identified the student. 

Because apps such as After School give students the option to post anonymously, police said they are sure this won't be the last threat to which they respond.

"We've seen this app be used in threats in the city of Hartford in our school system," said Deputy Chief Brian Foley, Hartford police.

Police said threats like this one are now considered a felony. 

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.