17-year-old student arrested following Prince Tech threat - WFSB 3 Connecticut

17-year-old student arrested following Prince Tech threat

Posted: Updated:
(WFSB file photo) (WFSB file photo)

State police said they made an arrest following last week's threat at a technical school in Hartford.

Detectives said on Thursday that they arrested a 17-year-old student after the anonymous online threat was made toward A.I. Prince Technical High School.

Troopers said the incident on June 9 forced the lockdown of the school on Flatbush Avenue around 8:50 a.m.

The threat referenced a student potentially having a firearm and threatening to harm others.

Troopers, SWAT team members and local police who arrived on the scene later determined that there was no immediate threat.

Through the course of the investigation, it was revealed that the threat was posted to a social media smartphone app called "After School."

A student was detained the same day; however, no arrest was made.

"There isn't much we can do as students," said Kathy Ponce, who is a junior at the school. "We just have to depend on security and hope that something bad doesn't happen to anyone."

On Wednesday, detectives said they developed information that led them to a 17-year-old male.

The suspect is a student of Prince Tech, according to troopers.

As a result, the unidentified student was arrested and issued a juvenile summons to court.

He was charged with first-degree threatening, second-degree breach of peace and falsely reporting an incident.

The suspect will face a judge in Hartford Juvenile Court.

Connecticut State Police issued a stern warning for students and parents, because Connecticut has seen at least one major hoax per year since 2012.

Multiple schools in Bristol were targeted with fake bomb threats last year, UConn the year before, and even Yale University fell victim to swatting pranks in 2013.

"They pull valuable first responder resources away from other calls for service, other incidents that need fire, police or EMS," said CT State Trooper Kelly Grant.

In the past, police said the cost of the response could reach tens of thousands of dollars depending on the length of the incident and the manpower needed.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.