Ansonia school threat suspect pleads 'not guilty' - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Ansonia school threat suspect pleads 'not guilty'

Posted: Updated:
GianCarlos Diaz faced a judge on Friday. (WFSB photo) GianCarlos Diaz faced a judge on Friday. (WFSB photo)
A threat closed Ansonia schools last month. (WFSB photo) A threat closed Ansonia schools last month. (WFSB photo)
ANSONIA, CT (WFSB) -

School is out for summer, but one Ansonia High School senior may still be facing consequences for his actions during the academic year.

Police say the teen made threats on a social media app last month that sent four schools into lockdown and canceled classes for an entire day.

GianCarlos Diaz, 19, briefly faced a judge Friday morning in Derby Superior Court.

He entered a plea of "not guilty."

He'll be back in court on Aug. 5.

Ansonia police say he used the "After School" app to make an anonymous threat.

It was a challenge for investigators to track him down at first, but eventually they were able to track down a suspect.

Diaz faces threatening and breach of peace charges.

The week before Memorial Day, police say he posted that he was tired of being bullied and would bring a gun to school.

Ansonia schools went into lockdown and prompted officials to cancel classes the next day.

Police were stationed at all the schools in the district for the next three days leading up to Memorial Day.

Ansonia resident Reggie Finney said he understands adolescence can be tough, but as a parent, it's frightening.

"My little brother knows the kid. He told me the kid is a good kid and the stuff he did, it's not really him. He was probably just angry, something he was going through. But as a parent, I would feel a whole other way," said Finney.

A new law passed in May that will make false school threats a felony with possible prison time.

That law does not go into effect until October.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.