Several families, including children, forced out by flames in Mo - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Several families, including children, forced out by flames in Moosup

Posted: Updated:
A vacant home was completely destroyed by Wednesday morning's fire in Moosup. (WFSB photo) A vacant home was completely destroyed by Wednesday morning's fire in Moosup. (WFSB photo)
Several families were forced out by the South Main Street fire. (Willy Lehoux/iWItness photo) Several families were forced out by the South Main Street fire. (Willy Lehoux/iWItness photo)
Firefighters battled the large fire. (WFSB photo) Firefighters battled the large fire. (WFSB photo)
Firefighters remained on the scene of the fire for most of Wednesday morning. (WFSB photo) Firefighters remained on the scene of the fire for most of Wednesday morning. (WFSB photo)
MOOSUP, CT (WFSB) -

Firefighters and emergency personnel are at the scene of a fire that started in a vacant building and spread to two homes in Moosup early Wednesday. 

The American Red Cross said it was helping seven families, including 14 adults and 12 children, that were forced out by the flames.

According to officials, the fire began shortly after 2 a.m. at 47 South Main St.

"It was 2:00, I went to my kitchen to eat some soup and I hear big explosion," said Keila Andrade, a resident displaced by the fire. "I called 911 and they said they are on the way already.”

Residents from 47 through 74 South Main St. were evacuated. Firefighters said the area is mostly multi-family homes.

Mutual aid from Plainfield, Central Village, Atwood Hose, Oneco, South Killingly, Danielson, East Brooklyn, Sterling, Mortlake and Canterbury were called in to assist local firefighters in the effort. 

Firefighters said the home was too dangerous to enter, so the fire had to be fought from the outside.

"The original fire building was fully involved from the basement all the way up to the third floor," said Paul Yellen, Plainfield fire marshal.

The vacant building at 59-61 South Main St. where the fire started was destroyed.

Andrade was emotional as she told Eyewitness News how she escaped the flames.

"We saw this thing from the window, this big fire on the second floor," Andrade said. "I took my daughters. We ran away and I said take the documents and let's run." 

Meanwhile the mother of another fire victim said her daughter and two grandchildren made it out safely.

"She called me like 3:00 this morning," said Nancy Langlois. "I sped, but hey, I just wanted to make sure they were all okay."

A few eyewitnesses said that fireworks may have started the fire; however, officials said they are still in the early stages of the investigation.

The deputy fire chief with the Plainfield Fire Department said no one was hurt.

The Red Cross said it was helping the families by providing comfort kits, personal care items and other items. It also provided an envelope with information like cleanup tips, important contacts, how to deal with damaged items and more.

"[I'm] depressed, I don't know what they're going to do," Langlois said.

Anyone with information that can help with the investigation is asked to contact the Plainfield Police Department at 860-564-0804 or the Plainfield Police Department anonymous tip-line at 860-564-7065.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.