Chrissy Panciera from Weight Watchers stopped by our studio Saturday morning to share some fun and simple recipes for summertime eating on the go, while keeping your diet in check.
Almond, Toasted Oat and Cherry Trail Mix (9 SPV for 1/3 cup serving)
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
2/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp light butter, stick variety, melted
1/4 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sided sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together rolled oats, cherries, almonds and salt. Drizzle with butter and honey and toss thoroughly.
3. Spread mixture evenly on sheet pan. Bake, stirring occasionally to ensure even browning, about 20 to 25 minutes; let cool. Yields about 1/3 cup per serving.
Turkey, Apple and Blue Cheese Wrap (6 SPV per wrap)
1 Tbsp blue cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbsp low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1⁄8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
1 medium whole wheat tortilla, warmed according to package directions
1⁄2 cup arugula, baby leaves
1⁄2 medium fresh apple,
2 oz cooked light meat turkey chopped or diced
1. In a small cup, mash together blue cheese, cream cheese and pepper with a fork; spread onto tortilla.
2. Top tortilla with arugula, apple and turkey, leaving about 1-inch of space from edges; tuck in sides of tortilla and then roll it up tightly (slice in half, if desired). Yields 1 wrap per serving.
Brown Rice Cookie Bar (3 SPV for 1 square)
2 tablespoons almond butter or peanut butter
3 cups mini marshmallows (about half 10-ounce bag)
2 cups crisp puffed brown rice cereal
1 cup whole-grain cereal flakes
2 tablespoons mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Put almond butter in large saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-low hear until softened, about 30 seconds. Add marshmallows and cook, stirring, until somewhat melted but still lumpy, about 2 minutes.
3. Spray rubber spatula with nonstick spray. Remove saucepan from heat and immediately use rubber spatula to stir in rice cereal, whole-grain cereal, and chocolate chips until combined well.
4. Scape marshmallow mixture into prepared baking pan, pressing down with rubber spatula to form even layer. Refrigerate until bars are firm, about 30 minutes. With sharp knife sprayed with nonstick spray, cut into 16 squares.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.