Flames tore through a homeowner's East Hampton garage and now, she is blaming fireworks as the cause of the blaze.
The fire took place in the Lake Pocotopaug neighborhood early Monday morning.
Eyewitness News got an exclusive interview with homeowner Jennifer Paradis. She said she was sleeping when she was woken up by her dogs at 2 a.m.
“Ten more minutes my house would have burnt down,” Paradis said.
Eyewitnesses got video of flames pouring out of the garage.
Paradis said she thinks she knows what started this fire.
“Fireworks! Absolutely fireworks. We haven't had rain in how long? And what else happens at 2 in the morning,” Paradis said.
Paradis has two dogs that were scared of fireworks, so she shut all the windows and put on the air conditioning and radio to draw out the noise.
“I know it's Fourth of July. We know it's going to happen,” Paradis said.
But, Paradis said she didn't expect something such as this to happen at her home.
Everything inside the garage was charred including her new SUV. Even part of her siding and fence were melted by the fire.
Neighbors told Eyewitness News they saw fireworks going off around the lake late Sunday night into early Monday morning. But, neighbors said it's something that happens every Fourth of July holiday weekend.
“I think it's foolish. I really do,” Paradis said.
All fireworks are illegal in Connecticut except sparklers and fountains. The Connecticut state fire marshal reports a number of house and grass fires have started because of fireworks. If a person is responsible, they can be charged with a felony.
Eyewitness News doesn't know what officially caused this fire.
For Paradis, she said she is trying to keep her spirits up and has posted a sign near her driveway.
“And I hope people learn from it. I was an innocent party,” Paradis said. “I wasn't even shooting them off and I have to pay the price.”
For Paradis, she said her next step is waiting for her insurance company.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All Rights Reserved.