Spent sparklers caused Vernon house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Spent sparklers caused Vernon house fire

Posted: Updated:
Fire damaged a home in Vernon early Tuesday morning. (iWitness photo) Fire damaged a home in Vernon early Tuesday morning. (iWitness photo)
(WFSB photo) (WFSB photo)
VERNON, CT (WFSB) -

Vernon firefighters acted quickly to extinguish a fire on Franklin Street early Tuesday morning. 

According to fire officials, the fire broke out at 12 Franklin St. shorty before 2 a.m.

They said no one was injured in the fire, but two men and a cat had to be evacuated from the house.

"The fire people did a great job containing it down to just this one area," said Jason Chessey, an eyewitness. "They did a great job putting it out. I'm just glad they got out safe and nobody got hurt."

The house sustained extensive damaged following a roof collapse on the third floor. However, crews said the building is not a complete loss.

To see more photos from the scene, click here.

"In situations like this, the fire department is called back, [it] rekindles," said Fire Chief William Call, Vernon Fire Department. "You try to make sure that you put it out the first time but, unfortunately, when all the building material collapses into a pancake you just can't get at it.

The fire marshal said the fire was accidental and was likely caused by sparklers. The fire marshal said the homeowner was using sparklers before the fire started and put the spent sparklers into a garbage can outside of the house that was leaning against the house.

The spent sparklers were still hot, and started a fire that went up the side of the wall of the house.

The fire marshal said people should be reminded to dispose the spent sparklers into a metal container outside of a house and away from any structures.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Spent sparklers caused Vernon house fireMore>>