Police said an officer saved the life of a man who appeared to have overdosed on heroin in South Windsor Tuesday night.
They said they were called to a home on Woodside Drive around 8 p.m.
When they arrived, they said they found a 40-year-old man to be unconscious.
The man's father reported that his son wasn't breathing.
The father also said that the son had a history of heroin use.
Cpl. Mark Cleverdon administered 2 milliliters of the Narcan nasal spray. Ambulance personnel arrived and the patient eventually regained consciousness.
He was transported to Hartford Hospital for further evaluation and care.
Cleverdon was among the first officers in the South Windsor Police Department to be trained in the use of Narcan as recently as Monday.
The department said it had just been granted the medical authority to use and carry the drug.
Narcan is a prescription medicine that blocks the effects of opioids and reverses and overdose.
The department said it began training in its use after reports of several reported overdoses in the New Haven area.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.