A tragic death at a daycare is now being labeled a homicide, and is the third such police investigation in the last week.
Back in March, investigators originally thought the infant passed away from SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), but after testing results came back from the medical examiner, police say the baby boy had Benadryl in his system.
The 4-month-old boy stopped breathing at a home on Edgewood Road in Fairfield in March, and police said Carol Cardillo ran an unlicensed daycare out of her house.
"Our investigation right now is focusing on the obvious. How a 4-month-old came to ingest a chemical, a medication, what time the child ingested the medication and who administered it,” said Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara.
Neighbors described the family that lives at the home as great neighbors, and said they are shocked that it’s now a criminal investigation.
"It’s very sad, I just know that with my daughter, the doctor always said not to give any medication without asking him first, especially at that age,” said Kyle Rehm.
The latest investigation comes on the heels of the two daycare deaths last week, one in Stamford and the other in Sterling.
According to the Office of Early Childhood, last year in Connecticut, there was only one daycare related death, which was a SIDS case.
“It’s just imperative that people research where they're dropping their children off. What may seem like a good option, may not necessarily be the safest option,” MacNamara said.
Parents can check their daycare provider’s license online at the Office of Early Childhood website.
Police are looking to see if the medicine was administered on purpose or if it was accidental.
The investigation is active and ongoing.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.