1 in custody after Bristol bank robbery, hostage situation - WFSB 3 Connecticut

1 in custody after Bristol bank robbery, hostage situation

Posted: Updated:
A bank robbery at TD Bank in Bristol turned into a hostage situation on Wednesday. (WFSB) A bank robbery at TD Bank in Bristol turned into a hostage situation on Wednesday. (WFSB)

A bank robbery at TD Bank in Bristol turned into a hostage situation on Wednesday.

According to Bristol Police, Dispatch was alerted of a bank robbery at the TD Bank located at 414 Broad St. Bristol. Bank Officials reported that a vehicle pulled up to the drive up teller window and the operator of the vehicle was holding a BB gun to the passenger in the vehicle. 

It is unclear if Duperry knew the suspect.

The driver of the vehicle, later identified as 52-year-old Robert Duperry, told the bank teller he would shoot his passenger, a 65-year-old woman, if she did not give him money.

The teller complied and gave Duperry $3,000. 

Police said Duperry then fled from the bank. 

The vehicle description and license plate were broadcast to all officers.  Officers on patrol spotted the vehicle a short distance from the bank. The operator failed to stop for the officers and engaged them in pursuit.  

Multiple times during the pursuit a gun was displayed out the driver’s window. At one point in the pursuit, Duperry, slowed down and ordered his hostage out of the vehicle.

Police said after the hostage got out of the vehicle, Duperry, fled again at a high rate of speed.

The pursuit ended in Wolcott when Duperry exited the vehicle and fled on foot in to a wooded area. With the assistance of Wolcott Police Officers, Deperry was located in the woods a short time later. He was taken in to custody without incident.

The female hostage later told police that she had been abducted by Duperry from Barnes Chapel on Pound St Bristol, where she works in the office. At gun point Duperry took the victims cell phone and car keys before blind folding her and tying her hands. He then forced her into her vehicle and left Pound St. She stated that they drove around for some time.

According to police, she could not see where they went. Duperry told her several times that he had bombs with him. She also heard him make several phone calls, in which he threatened to blow up buildings.

It was later learned that the Hartford Police Department had received several bomb threat calls from the victim’s cell phone. The Hartford Bomb Squad responded to Bristol to process the vehicle and Duperry’s property. No bombs or bomb materials were located.

The victim sustained minor injuries, bumps and bruises, but declined medical treatment.

Duperry was arrested and charged with 2 counts of first-degree robbery, 2 counts of second-degree larceny, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree reckless endangerment, third-degree assault, assault of a victim over the age of 60. criminal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a pistol without a permit, first-degree burglary, first-degree threatening, engaging an officer in pursuit and reckless driving. 

Bond was set at $1.3 million.

Duppery has not yet been charged for the bomb threats.

This is not the first time Duppery has been charged with robbery.

He has federal aggravated bank robbery charges from 1998 and 2000.

Jeff Ferraro said he couldn't believe what he saw, which was a very real bank robbery happening right before his eyes.

"It was pretty apparent when he started counting down," Ferraro said, adding that he was inside the TD Bank on the corner of Andrews and Broad streets in Bristol.

He said the man drove up to the drive-thru.

"He had the sunglasses on the hoodie and the bandana," Ferraro said. "She listened to him and you could tell on her face, she was calm and collected but there was serious situation going on."

He said the incident was over in a matter of minutes and then the suspect took off.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.