Man kidnapped woman before making bomb threats in Hartford, robb - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man kidnapped woman before making bomb threats in Hartford, robbing bank

Posted: Updated:
Robert Du Perry appears in court (WFSB) Robert Du Perry appears in court (WFSB)

A woman was kidnapped at a chapel in Bristol on Wednesday.

The innocent clerk was ambushed and then forced to ride along as her alleged kidnapper robbed a bank.

It appears this was a completely random act, and started at the Barnes Chapel on Pound Street in Bristol.

Robert Du Perry, 52, walked into the chapel, asking to take a look inside.

Once he got in, police said he took out a BB gun and forced a woman working there to wrap duct tape around her wrists and over her eyes.

Police said he led her to her own car and took an hours-long ride that brought them to Hartford.

Arrest documents show he used the woman’s phone to make multiple bomb threats to Hartford Police and other capital city landmarks.

Friends of the 61-year-old victim said they are beside themselves, and can’t believe the emotional torture didn’t end there.

“She's very tiny, little petite, she's a really nice woman. I'm horrified that this happened to her,” said Steve Lubin, a friend of the victim.

Police said Du Perry then drove the car back to Bristol, to a TD Bank on Broad Street and robbed it, because he was upset that he’d be charged fees there.

He reportedly pointed the gun at his hostage and demanded the teller give him cash or he would kill her.

Du Perry got away with about $3,000 and took off, leading police on a dangerous chase.

Officers noted there were times where he’d wave his gun at them trying to get them to back off.

When they did, he dropped the victim off and kept driving.

Du Perry reached a dead end in Wolcott and started running in the woods before eventually surrendering to police.

In court on Thursday, State’s Attorney Jeff Lee said “What you have before you, judge, is a human predator.”

The judge set bond at $1.3 million.

In the past, Du Perry was convicted twice of bank robbery.

He was also convicted of attempted murder and robbery in 1986, where he was sentenced to 20 years, but only had to serve 12.

He is expected to face a judge again next month.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.