PD: Hartford man dies after police pursuit - WFSB 3 Connecticut

PD: Hartford man dies after police pursuit

Posted: Updated:
Flowers and candles were found at the crash sight. (WFSB) Flowers and candles were found at the crash sight. (WFSB)

A Hartford man died following a crash on Sunday night in Bloomfield after police said he failed to pull over for officers.

Police said 18-year-old Exavier Myers died on Monday after sustaining injuries in the crash.

Myers was driving a car in the area of Pershing Street and Blue Hills Avenue in Hartford around 7 p.m. when he failed to stop during a traffic stop.

Police were in the area due to a recent increase in shots fired and ShotSpotter activations.

"We have a car taking off. It's a grey Acura north on Blue Hills from Pershing," the police transmission made before the crash. 

Myers drove over the town line into Bloomfield, where he lost control and hit another car in the 800 block of Blue Hills Avenue.

"He just wrecked south of Dunkin donuts," according to the police transmission. 

People laid candles and flowers on Tuesday at the spot where Myers crashed his car.

Myers' Uncle Douglas Jones posted on Facebook words of tribute for his nephew who died just two weeks after his 18th birthday. 

"I've loved you ever since you were born, everyone always told me how much you looked like me and acted like me, in many ways you've been like my son for 18 years, my heart is truly broken right now, and I've been crying all morning. RIP ZAE, Uncle Dougie loves you soooo much, always and forever," Jones wrote on Facebook. 

Police said a 9mm live round was found inside the car Myers was driving. The car was so badly damaged investigators are still searching it for other evidence.

A 16-year-old passenger sustained non-life threatening injuries. The occupants of the car that was struck sustained non-life threatening injuries.

The incident continues to be investigated by the Bloomfield Police Department, NCMRT and the CT State's Attorney's Office. The Hartford Police Department was doing an internal investigation on the incident. 

An autopsy and toxicology reports could take weeks for results. 

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.