Live wire triggers fire in Haddam - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Live wire triggers fire in Haddam

Posted: Updated:
One Haddam resident thanked the fire department for saving her life. (WFSB) One Haddam resident thanked the fire department for saving her life. (WFSB)
HADDAM, CT (WFSB) -

Haddam residents were asked to stay inside their home as they watched a live wire smoke and spark in the middle of the road in the wake of Thursday's storms.

"There were sparks flying out of my plugs,” Lia Franz, of Haddam, said. “There were sparks flying everywhere."

Franz was watching television in her living room when she heard a loud clap of thunder.   

"All of a sudden, lightning struck across the street,” Franz said. "And everything went up in an electrical storm."

The Haddam fire chief said a power line came crashing down in the midst of Thursday’s storms and caused an electrical surge inside a home on Saybrook Road.  

"The fire started on the road down there with the live wire flipping,” Franz said.

After seeing this wire spark, Franz said she quickly called 911.

Emergency crews were detouring cars away from the area and residents were being asked to stay inside their homes.  

Franz said she was watching from her window on Planes Road.

"They were out here all day,” Franz said.

Franz said she wanted to thank the fire department for saving her life and made sure everyone stayed safe during this severe weather. Franz said she’s grateful for their fast response during a frightening few hours.

Franz said some of these wires have been making noise throughout the day, so an electric company will be coming out to make sure everything is OK. 

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.