Cause of amusement park electric shock found - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Cause of amusement park electric shock found

Posted: Updated:
Crews worked on the Scrambler Ride on Wednesday after six people were shocked on it. (WFSB photo) Crews worked on the Scrambler Ride on Wednesday after six people were shocked on it. (WFSB photo)
Six people were shocked on the Scrambler at Ocean Beach Park in New London Tuesday. (WFSB photo) Six people were shocked on the Scrambler at Ocean Beach Park in New London Tuesday. (WFSB photo)
NEW LONDON, CT (WFSB) -

State police have confirmed that some of the victims of Tuesday's electric shock incident in New London were juveniles.

They also determined that the cause was found to be loose lighting wire in the center of the ride.

Six people were shocked on the Scrambler ride at Ocean Beach Park just before 2 p.m. on Tuesday.

They said the ages of the victims were a 4-year-old girl, a 7-year-old girl, two 10-year-old boys and Victor Williams of Wauregan, CT.

The injuries were described as very minor. The worst was only a contact burn to the hand of a juvenile, according to state police.

The victims were taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital.

Fire and explosion investigation detectives were said to be on the scene on Wednesday.

All rides have been closed for the day, per the order of detectives.

They said a full re-inspection will be conducted before the park reopens.

They said earlier that they identified several electrical issues that were being repaired by a licensed electrician.

All the rides are inspected annually by the state and maintained daily by the staff.

"Customer safety is what they're looking for with this. Every day the beach is open they look for safety of the people here and the safety of the children on the rides," said Deputy Police Chief Peter Reichard. 

In a statement, a spokesperson for Ocean Beach Park said "Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our guests, and we never want anyone to have a negative experience when they come to the park. As soon as the incident took place, we took immediate action to call authorities and have the ride operators cease operations until we could ensure safety. Inspectors have been onsite conducting an official investigation and all rides have been cleared to re-open today."

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.