In preparation from Tropical Storm Hermine, the governor has decided to close all camping grounds in Connecticut on Sunday afternoon.
Gov. Dannel Malloy said due to the threat of possible flooding from the storm, all Connecticut state parks will close at noon on Sunday.
The following 11 state park grounds, which have more than 1,400 campsites, will be closed by Sunday afternoon:
Earlier this week, Eyewitness News caught up with campers at Hammonasset State Park, who were bracing for the storm. Park staff visit camp sites and ask them to leave the area, so they are not in the path of the storm or hit by any falling trees or debris.
The governor's office said all campers at any of these state parks "will be able to receive full refunds for the nights they will not be able to use their reservations" and "Reserve America will be directed by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to issue refunds to campers who had reservations for Sunday night."
Additional refunds will be given to campers, who have reservations beyond Sunday night at Hammonasset Beach State Park and Rocky Neck State Park, which will both open later in the week, the governor's office said.
The end of camping season in Connecticut ends on Monday, expect for Hammonasset Beach State Park and Rocky Neck State Park.
The governor said he will "partially activate the state Emergency Operations Center" on Sunday evening and hold a press conference with the media on Sunday morning, which will be streamed live on WFSB.com.
Gov. Malloy will also partially activate the state Emergency Operations Center beginning at 6PM on Sunday. More: https://t.co/fWu5HqtkNQ— Governor Dan Malloy (@GovMalloyOffice) September 3, 2016
To read the technical discussion, click here.
Stay with Eyewitness News for updates on air and online.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.