Man shot at by police fell four stories from casino parking gara - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man shot at by police fell four stories from casino parking garage

Posted: Updated:
An officer with Mashantucket Tribal Police was involved in a shooting on Tuesday morning. (@cummins_evan) An officer with Mashantucket Tribal Police was involved in a shooting on Tuesday morning. (@cummins_evan)

A section of Foxwoods Resort and Casino was put into a lockdown on Tuesday afternoon after a man was shot at by Mashantucket Tribal Police officer.

Connecticut State Police said the shooting happened in the Fox Tower Parking Garage around 11:30 a.m.

According to police, a patron of Foxwoods was confronted by the Mashantucket Tribal Police on the fourth floor of a parking garage, because an arrest warrant was being served. The reason for warrant still unknown on Tuesday night. 

Police said the man "produced a weapon, and shots were fired." 

"The Mashantucket police ordered the subject to drop his weapon however he did not comply. At least one round from his duty weapon (was fired) at the subject, the subject then fell off the fourth level of the Fox Tower parking garage onto a paved driveway below," said CT State Police Sgt. William Bohonowitcz.

The person involved in the confrontation died, but police said it is unclear he died from gunshots or if he was even shot. After being shot at, police said the suspect fell four stories. 

There were no other injuries reported to police.

Detectives from the Eastern District Major Crime squad are assisting the Mashantucket Tribal Police.

Police were not letting people in or out of the Fox Tower garage after the shooting.

“Our waitress came up to us and told us we had to evacuate immediately. She didn't know why. They just kind of pushed us out into the hallway and told us we needed to go further out into the casino,” said eyewitness Cindy Cummins.

She was inside Juniors, a restaurant inside of Fox Tower.

“Everything was shut down. The restaurant, they closed off all the entrances to the outlets, the casino stayed open,” Cummins said.

Fox Tower casino was placed in a lockdown after the shooting, but it was reopened as of 2:15 p.m.

Patrons said restaurants and shops were closed for more than an hour, but frustrations really grew at the doors of the casino, as people who parked near the scene of the shooting were not allowed to go back to their cars.

As of 5:30 p.m., state police said all areas of the casino are open to the public, with the exception of restricted access to Fox Tower garage, however by 10:30 p.m. the Fox Tower garage was open to all incoming and exiting traffic.

Michelle Thibault is breathing a sigh of relief, and is glad to be headed home after being trapped in the Foxwoods Casino for hours on Tuesday.

“I called my husband first then I called my mom and talked to everyone and said I’m safe, I’m fine, everything is fine,” she said. “I tried to go and get my bags but we couldn't go upstairs to the tower because that was on lockdown."

The identity of the suspect is still not being released.

In a statement, Foxwoods Resort Casino said "This morning, there was an isolated incident on property in the Fox Tower Garage that was quickly contained by the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Police; an investigation remains open with the State Police. The safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains Foxwoods’ top priority, and there is no current threat to anyone on the premises. All incoming and outgoing traffic from the Fox Tower Garage is presently restricted, but the rest of the property remains open and accessible to guests. We will update the public when the garage re-opens."

Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updates.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.