Man burned after fire pit explosion in Wallingford - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man burned after fire pit explosion in Wallingford

Posted: Updated:
A man is recovering after being burned on Sunday (WFSB) A man is recovering after being burned on Sunday (WFSB)
WALLINGFORD, CT (WFSB) -

A man is recovering from serious burns all over his body after a fire pit exploded in a Wallingford backyard this weekend.

Authorities said the unidentified man tried to start a fire with gasoline behind a home on South Whittlesey Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

"Gasoline is not supposed to be used in a fire pit," Wallingford Deputy Fire Chief Steve Alsup said.

When crews arrived at the scene, the fire on the man was already out and he was alert.

"Reported from the crews that he had some significant burns and they initiated a call for LIFE STAR,” Alsup said.

The man was transported to MidState Medical Center and then, “subsequently transferred by LIFE STAR to Bridgeport,” Alsup said.

Neighbors told Eyewitness News that the man has a long road to recovery. Fire officials said this weekend’s incident could have been avoided.  

"You need to use these appliances safely,” Alsup said. “You need to think and use some common sense. Gasoline and fire do not mix."

With fall as well as the cool days and nights that come with it, people will be hanging out with friends and family by the warmth of a fire pit. While fire pits have their plenty of appeal, firefighters said people need to be safe and that starts with not using flammable liquid.

"In a legal fire pit or chimenea you're only supposed to utilize wood, very small amounts of paper,” Alsup said. “They're for ambience, not for large size fires."

In Wallingford, there are ordinances about recreational fires. Alsup said the pit on Sunday was perfectly legal, but using gasoline is not. 

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.