Pan seared Scallops with a Corn and Bacon Ragu
From the Sulicks at Mulberry Street
Corn and bacon ragu:
4 ears of corn
4 slices of thick cut bacon
1/2 of a red oinion diced
2 cloves if garlic minced
1/3 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
Red pepper sauce:
3/4 cup of sherry wine
1 cup of rosted red peppers, jared or make your own.
1/4 cup heavy cream
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
kosher salt to taste
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly season scallops with salt and oepper. In a nonstick sauce pan, add 3 tablespoons olive oil. Heat the pan until oil is smoking, add scallops, 6 at a time. Sear scallops on one side about 2 minutes, until caramelized, turn over and repeat on the ither side. Remove from pan. Put on a baking sheet. Finish the remaining scallops. Place in the baking pan and out in oven. Heat for about 8 minutes.
- While scallops are cooking make the roasted red pepper sauce.
- Put peppers and wine in a sauce pot, bring to a boil, turn down and simmer until wine is completely evaporated, stirring so that it doesnt burn. slight carmalization is fine.
- Cool slightly, using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree, and add 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Corn and bacon ragu
- Heat a saute pan over, medium high heat. Add olive oil, heat add bacon cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, add red onion, saute 2 minutes, add garlic, saute 1 minute. Add corn, cook 2 minutes, deglaze with chicken stock, cook down for 1 minute, add heavy cream heat through cook a couple of minutes to thicken. Carefully salt and pepper to taste, bacon can be salty.
- To plate, put corn ragu on the plate, top with scallop, and finish with red pepper sauce. Enjoy!