Convicted serial rapist and murderer denied parole again - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Convicted serial rapist and murderer denied parole again

Posted: Updated:
Edward Boyle. (CT Sex Offender Registry photo) Edward Boyle. (CT Sex Offender Registry photo)
BROOKLYN, CT (WFSB) -

A man who has spent time behind bars for decades following rape and murder convictions had his case go before the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Like his last request five years ago, 55-year-old Edward Boyle saw his parole denied again on Friday, according to officials.

The board heard Boyle's case at 9 a.m.

The family of Louisa Scott, whom Boyle was convicted of killing, spoke with Eyewitness News shortly after the board's decision. They said they are relieved he's staying put.

"He will not accept responsibility for what he's done and what we know in our heart he will continue to do [it] if he's given the opportunity," said Timothy Scott, Louisa Scott's brother. "So every time this happens, the wound is ripped open again."

Boyle has been in an out of prison for decades.

Ahead of the hearing, the Louisa Scott's family issued a plea to the board to deny it his parole again.

Boyle has been incarcerated at the Brooklyn Correctional Institution since 2004.

His crimes, however, go back further than that.

Officials said he strangled Louisa Scott in Coventry back in 1980 and left her body in a river. She was 20 years old.

Boyle was also charged with raping four other women.

In 2006, he was jailed for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl.

Boyle said in court that he understood the severity of his crimes.

"I wouldn't expect forgiveness from anyone," said Boyle.

Currently, he is serving time for raping a 62-year-old women, which Louisa Scott's family said happened after the killing. They said he admitted to it while in custody.

At the time of his 2011 parole hearing, he had been charged with violating his parole.

"My freedom isn't the most important thing to me, being able to be a safe member of the community is and I was doing that and believe I still can," said Boyle.

Louisa Scott's family said he's served 19 years of a combined sentence of 21 to 42 years.

They said they sought the public's help to keep Boyle in prison.

“Ed Boyle murdered my sister, raped the young and old alike and was engaged in predatory behavior from his prison cell," said Beverly Canfield, Louisa Scott's sister. "He clearly remains a threat to women and deserves to remain locked away for as long as legally possible."

Canfield urged the board to reject Boyle's release.

“My brothers and I made a promise to the memory of our sister that we would do whatever we could to see that her murder remained locked away," she said. "We can’t bring her back, but maybe we can prevent someone else’s sister, daughter, granddaughter or grandmother from meeting the same fate as her."

Boyle will go before the board again in a year.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.