East Lyme High School will be closed on Monday due to a ruptured pipe.
The superintendent’s office announced the closure of only the high school on Sunday evening.
No other school has been impacted.
The town's fire marshal told Eyewitness News that it was a water glycol spill from a massive heating and air conditioning unit in the back of the school. Glycol is an antifreeze agent.
One of the pipes belonging to the system leaked.
The system can hold several hundred gallons of glycol; however, the fire marshal was unsure just how much spilled.
A janitor noticed it bubbling up from the ground.
Crews are having to dig it up.
The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said it is monitoring the situation to make sure it doesn't get into the water supply.
Crews are replacing the pipe so the heat will work.
DEEP said there is currently no danger to wildlife or people.
School should be open on Tuesday for voting and classes on Wednesday.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.