The state Department of Transportation wants to look at safety and whether or not there's any room for economic developments along Interstate 95 between Greenwich and North Stonington.
The DOT said it launched a study of safety, rail, bus and traffic improvements in connection with Gov. Dannel Malloy's 30-year $100 billion transportation plan.
Last month, the DOT issued a news release about it.
“Our goal is to develop a detailed implementation plan that includes conceptual designs, impact assessments, cost estimates, and project phasing options,” said commissioner James P. Redeker, CT DOT. “I-95 is literally the backbone of the economy of the southern tier of Connecticut and these studies will help us to create a framework for transportation and economic development through the corridor for decades to come.”
The study was split into two parts.
One part includes I-95 west from Greenwich to New Haven and will include investment scenarios, the New Haven commuter line and better integration of the area's bus system. The focus, though, will be highway congestion between Bridgeport and Stamford.
The other part involves I-95 east from Branford to North Stonington and will focus on deficiencies on the highway.
For more information about what the DOT is studying, read its news release here.
Thursday, Malloy said the portion of his project that involved the Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge in New Haven was "substantially complete."
He said the project will make a difference for businesses in the state.
"If we want to grow jobs in Connecticut, attract new businesses in Connecticut and improve the quality of life for our citizenry, transforming our transportation system has got to be a top priority," Malloy said.
The bridge itself has been open for a few years, but the final major ramp openings were complete on Thursday.
Malloy said the project came in at $200 million under budget.
Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.