From Sally Sampson of "Chop Chop Kids" Magazine
1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
1⁄4 small Spanish onion, diced
1⁄4 cup diced carrots
2 tablespoons diced celery
1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice (not parboiled)
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1⁄4 teaspoon Unseasoned rice wine vinegar
1 small piece of fresh ginger root, about the size of a nickel, peeled and minced.
2 scallions, including green and white parts, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
1. With the help of your adult, place a large soup pot over medium-low heat and wait 2 minutes for it to heat up.
2. With the help of your adult, carefully add the oil, then add the onion, carrots, and celery.
3. Cook until softened but not browned, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the rice and chicken stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
5. Once it's bubbling, turn the heat to very low and put a lid on the pot, but only part way.
6. Cook until the rice sort of explodes and falls apart, about 30 minutes.
7. Add the unseasoned rice vinegar, stir, and set the rice aside, covered, while you prepare the toppings.
8. Add the toppings to the congee just before you serve it.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS: Crushed Peanuts (if no one allergic), toasted sesame oil, shredded cooked chicken, corn kernels, fresh chopped spinach, and/or cubed tofu.