Classic Butter Cookies
From Maria Sanchez of Sweet Maria's
1/2 pound butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until very fluffy, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add egg and vanilla. Mix until well blended.
4. On low speed, add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix just until blended.Color dough with food coloring, if desired.
5. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe cookies into a 1 1/2" shell shape onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, spacing each 2 inches apart. Top with a cherry, if desired. Or fill a cookie gun with dough and press shapes onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Decorate with coarse sugar.
6. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
7. Cool cookies on wire cooling racks.
8. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Use a cookie gun to make spritz cookies in the shape of trees and stars. Color dough red or green and garnish with sugars and sprinkles.
- Dip half the cookie into melted chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Thumbprint Variation:
- Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls.
- Roll into a slightly beaten egg white, then shredded coconut or chopped nuts.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, spacing each 2 inches apart.
- Press tops lightly. Form a hole in the center of the cookie.
- Fill with any flavor pie filling.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cranberry Almond Bar Variation
- Press dough into a 13 x 9" baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake crust 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven.
- Prepare topping.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, combine 1/4 pound butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup honey.
- Stir often until butter melts, sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds and 1 cup dried cranberries.
- Spread mixture evenly on top of crust.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until top begins to bubble and brown.
- Remove from the oven. Cool completely before cutting into squares or triangles.