Missing Middletown mom's estate hearing held Monday - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Missing Middletown mom's estate hearing held Monday

Posted: Updated:
Nathan Carman traveled to Connecticut on Monday for his mother's estate hearing (WFSB) Nathan Carman traveled to Connecticut on Monday for his mother's estate hearing (WFSB)

The son of a Middletown woman who went missing during a boating trip traveled to Connecticut on Monday.

Nathan Carman is believed to be the last person to see his mother, Linda Carman, alive after the two took a trip out on their boat.

On Monday, he was in Middletown as family members gathered to determine what should be done with his mother’s estate.

After going on a fishing trip in September that ended with their boat sinking, Linda is presumed to be dead.

Nathan Carman was rescued after more than a week at sea and hasn't been charged in connection with the disappearance, but local and federal investigations still continue.

On Monday, details of the disappearance weren’t discussed, just the future of Linda’s possessions, like her Middletown home and checks she gets from her father’s multi-million-dollar trust.

Nathan Carman appeared to be very concerned about a horse named Sophie.

“Ideally, I’d like to be involved or have an awareness of what is going on with Sophie and how she is being cared for,” Nathan Carman said.

Initially, Linda’s friend, Sharon Hartstein wanted to be the trustee, but in the end, all parties, including Nathan and two of Linda’s sisters, agreed to turn it over to attorney Glenn Terk, who has done work for the family before. 

“My thought would be that my mom's intent would be for Sharon to be person making the final decisions for her if she was in a car accident. Not necessarily the person making, managing, her finances on an ongoing basis,” Nathan Carman said.

As trustee, the judge hearing the case says, Terk will be responsible for the upkeep of Linda’s home and will need to safely invest all assets she receives.

He can't sell the property and can't use her money. Every step he makes will need to go through probate court.

While the 30-minute hearing was very civil, the rest of the family had little interaction with Nathan.

All parties didn't take any questions on Monday, and Monday’s agreement will last for seven years, or until Linda’s death can be confirmed.

many questions still swirl around her will, but the judge involved in the case said the contents will remain sealed until her death can be proven.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.