Cleanup continues after Pan Am train derails in New Britain - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Developing

Cleanup continues after Pan Am train derails in New Britain

Posted: Updated:
The clean up continues after a train derailed in New Britain on Tuesday (WFSB) The clean up continues after a train derailed in New Britain on Tuesday (WFSB)
Crews responded to a train derailment in New Britain on Tuesday (iwitness) Crews responded to a train derailment in New Britain on Tuesday (iwitness)
NEW BRITAIN, CT (WFSB) -

A Pan Am Railway freight train derailed in New Britain on Tuesday afternoon, causing road closures and evacuations.

The derailment happened on the train tracks near Columbus Boulevard at about 3:45 p.m. The train is a freight, so no passengers were on board.

The train was carrying non-hazardous construction debris. The weight broke through the brick barriers, spilling the waste onto the road, creating massive backups.

Officials at the scene said they were concerned about the air, so they blocked off several areas around the derailment and evacuations were underway on Tuesday evening, at businesses nearby like CVS and the U.S. Post Office.

Connecticut State Police closed the Exit 26 off-ramp on Route 9 north in New Britain, to help with traffic conditions near the derailment scene. 

Police said no injuries were reported.

It is unclear where the train was traveling to or from.

Mayor Erin Stewart said the garbage belonged to Connecticut construction company Cherry Hill.

Last week, Eyewitness News reported Pan Am trains were running more often because of increased demands.

Jeffrey Gomes said he has seen them running on the tracks before and predicted it would only be a matter of time before disaster spilled over.

“The car on the train shakes. So sooner or later, I knew something like that was about to happen,” Gomes said.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

Officials from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection also responded to the scene and are assessing the train cars. They said right now there is no apparent hazmat issue.

DEEP officials said portions of Columbus Boulevard won't reopen until Saturday because of the cleanup.

To see more photos from the scene, click here.

Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updates.

Copyright 2016 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Local businesses offer help after Farmington restaurant abruptly closes

    Local businesses offer help after Farmington restaurant abruptly closes

    Sunday, October 22 2017 10:46 PM EDT2017-10-23 02:46:13 GMT
    Apricot's Restaurant in Farmington abruptly closed last week, leaving customers and employees in the dark (WFSB)Apricot's Restaurant in Farmington abruptly closed last week, leaving customers and employees in the dark (WFSB)

    A popular restaurant in Farmington suddenly closed its doors Thursday. Apricot’s Restaurant says they are shutting down for renovations until January.

    More >

    A popular restaurant in Farmington suddenly closed its doors Thursday. Apricot’s Restaurant says they are shutting down for renovations until January.

    More >
  • FBI couldn't access nearly 7K devices because of encryption

    FBI couldn't access nearly 7K devices because of encryption

    Sunday, October 22 2017 6:36 PM EDT2017-10-22 22:36:07 GMT
    (AP/Meredith Image)(AP/Meredith Image)

    The FBI hasn't been able to retrieve data from more than half of the mobile devices it tried to access in less than a year, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Sunday, turning up the heat on a debate between technology companies and law enforcement officials trying to recover encrypted communications. 

    More >

    The FBI hasn't been able to retrieve data from more than half of the mobile devices it tried to access in less than a year, FBI Director Christopher Wray said Sunday, turning up the heat on a debate between technology companies and law enforcement officials trying to recover encrypted communications. 

    More >
  • Trial to begin against Philip Morris in smoker's death

    Trial to begin against Philip Morris in smoker's death

    Sunday, October 22 2017 7:04 PM EDT2017-10-22 23:04:01 GMT
    (Meredith Image)(Meredith Image)

    A trial is set to begin in a lawsuit against Philip Morris in connection with the lung cancer death of a Connecticut woman who smoked the company's Marlboro cigarettes. 

    More >

    A trial is set to begin in a lawsuit against Philip Morris in connection with the lung cancer death of a Connecticut woman who smoked the company's Marlboro cigarettes. 

    More >